It is understandable that you find searching for the best microphones for vocals intimidating and confounding because of the sheer variety!
There are microphones in all shapes, sizes and types. Selecting one from hundreds of variety without proper knowledge is not only tiring but also waste of money if you choose the wrong one.
Remember that all microphones are not same; each microphone has its own unique properties that are different from the other models.
For example one microphone for vocal picks up just the vocalist’s voice while another model might pick up the ambient sound too; one may be good for a solo performer while another is more suited for a group.
Therefore knowing the right kind of microphone is very essential to produce the sound that you desire.
The key factors to look for when purchasing the best microphones for vocals are:
- Microphone Diaphragm Size: This is the portion of the microphone which comes first in contact with the sound waves. Hence its size, whether it is large, medium or small will determine how much volume, what frequency and what dynamic range a microphone has.
- Microphone Frequency Response: Each microphone is designed to respond differently to the frequency; this response is the key to how your voice will sound on the mike because each individual has a different bass, pitch and loudness.
- Microphone Polar Patterns: This feature decides which sound the microphone picks up; the direction of the sound. This quality is a determining feature between microphones for solo singers and group performers.
- Microphone Type: There are three types: Dynamic, Condenser and Ribbon. The Dynamic types are suited for group singing and high volumes while the condenser is more suitable for solo voices where it can pick up the subtle nuances of a singer.
- Sensitivity: This feature determines how much you must amplify the sound for the optimum hearing experience. More sensitivity requires less amplification and less sensitivity requires greater amplification.
We know all these features can be mindboggling if you are not a physics student or have no knowledge of the working of microphones; therefore we took it upon ourselves to make the process of selecting for the best microphone for vocals simpler. Listed below are five of the best microphones for vocals in the year 2016.
Blue Yeti USB Microphone – Blackout Edition
- Custom three-capsule array: This professional USB mic produces clear, powerful, broadcast-quality sound for YouTube videos, Twitch game streaming, podcasting, Zoom meetings, music recording and more
- Blue VOICE software: Elevate your streamings and recordings with clear broadcast vocal sound and entertain your audience with enhanced effects, advanced modulation and HD audio samples
- Four pickup patterns: Flexible cardioid, omni, bidirectional, and stereo pickup patterns allow you to record in ways that would normally require multiple mics, for vocals, instruments and podcasts
- Onboard audio controls: Headphone volume, pattern selection, instant mute, and mic gain put you in charge of every level of the audio recording and streaming process
- Positionable design: Pivot the mic in relation to the sound source to optimize your sound quality thanks to the adjustable desktop stand and track your voice in real time with no-latency monitoring
Blue Yeti USB Microphone – Blackout Edition is well suited to record podcasts, interviews, instrumental music and concerts with its tri-capsule technology and four modes of recording.
You can adjust the volume on the microphone, adjust its direction and even pack it and take it with you.
It is very easy to set up the Yeti. It comes with a two year warranty and is compatible with Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, XP Home Edition or XP Professional, USB 1.1/2.0, 64 MB RAM (minimum).
If you have a Macintosh then Mac OSX (10.4.11 or higher), USB 1.1/2.0, 64 MB RAM (minimum) are the necessary platforms.
The only drawback here is the large size of the Microphone.
Read the full review HERE
Heil PR-40 Dynamic Studio Recording Microphone
- One Mic for Every Application - Professional podcasters, studio engineers, YouTube streamers, and musicians trust the PR 40 because it delivers high-quality sound in any environment.
- Podcast - The PR 40 naturally captures the human voice and provides studio-quality sound in any environment. This dynamic microphone eliminates the need for external preamps and extra processing that condenser mics require.
- Streaming - Delivering professional-quality sound and featuring a sleek appearance, the PR 40 is built to enhance your YouTube streaming product.
- Studio Voice and Live Sound - Whether you’re in the studio or on the road, the PR 40 delivers accurate, wide-range sound reinforcement and condenser-quality sound while eliminating ambient noise and bleed.
- XLR Connection and Cardioid Pattern - The PR 40’s 3-pin XLR connection provides high-quality audio, and its cardioid pattern eliminates sound from unwanted sources.
When you are looking for a great tonal quality you can straight away reach for the Heil PR-40 Dynamic Studio Recording Microphone because it is the best microphone for vocals.
With an ability to reproduce sound as low as 28 HZ, the Heil PR 40 is great for live recording and broadcasting.
The large diaphragm ensures that the mike has a large frequency range and low distortion.
And the neatest part is the pop screen design which cuts the breath from hitting the diaphragm thereby minimizing the audible breath during singing.
Read the full review HERE
Sennheiser e945 Supercardioid Dynamic Handheld Mic
- Supercardioid pickup pattern: Provides insulation from other on-stage signals
- Shock-mounted capsule: Low sensitivity to impact and handling noise
- Hum compensating coil: Reduces electrical interference
- Neodymium ferrous magnet with boron: Keeps microphone stable regardless of climate
- Metal construction: Rugged and reliable
Probably one of the best microphone for vocals the Sennheiser e945 Supercardioid Dynamic Handheld Mic is all about class, style and quality. The sound is crystal clear and the mike is built to handle the loudest stage.
The Supercardioid pattern ensures that the microphone does not pick up other ambient sounds on the stage.
The 10 year warranty on this microphone is Sennheiser’s assurance about the durability of the mic.
Read the full review HERE
Shure SM7B Vocal Dynamic Microphone, Cardioid
- ONE MICROPHONE FOR EVERYTHING - Studio Recording, Home Recording, Podcasting and Streaming. The SM7B Is Trusted By The Worlds Leading Vocalists, Podcasters and Streamers.
- STUDIO VOCAL RECORDING - The SM7B’s Dynamic Cartridge With Smooth, Flat, Wide-range Frequency Response Produces Exceptionally Clean and Natural Reproduction Of Both Music and Speech.
- PODCAST and BROADCAST - Found In The Top Podcasting Studios Around The World, The SM7B Air Suspension Shock Isolation and Pop Filter Eliminate Both Mechanical Noise And Breathiness. So Words Get Through And The Rest Stays Out Of The Mix.
- STREAMING CONTENT - Professional Live Streaming Starts With A Microphone Capable Of Capturing Exceptionally Clean And Natural Reproduction Of Both Music And Speech. The SM7B Has Been A Pioneer In Such Abilities For Decades.
- PROFESSIONAL XLR CONNECTION - The XLR Connection Along With An Audio Interface Allows You More Control Over The Sound — Thus A Better Overall Sound Quality. At least 60dB of gain is recommended to get that iconic warm and balanced tone most commonly associated with the SM7B.
The Shure SM7B Vocal Dynamic Microphone is dynamic and cardioid then how can it go wrong? It is the most suited for studio setting and broadcasts as the voice is clear.
The Shure has a wide range frequency response and dynamic range making it one of the best microphone for vocals.
There will be no interference from other electronic devices around the mike; no mechanical noise and no need for expensive add-ons.
This microphone is built to last. From several tests it has been deduced that the SM 7B is ideal for Hip Hop too.
Read the full review HERE
Audio-Technica AT2020USB PLUS Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone
- Condenser microphone with USB output for digital recording
- High quality A/D converter with 16 bit, 44.1/48 kilohertz sampling rate for superb audio
- Headphone jack with volume control allows you to monitor the microphone signal with no delay
- Mix control allows you to blend your microphone signal and prerecorded audio
- High output, the internal headphone amplifier delivers superior clarity and musical detail as well as more volume overall
The price, the look and the end results are all factors that add value to the Audio-Technica AT2020USB PLUS Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone. Unlike its predecessors, the USB plus can be used to do voice over work, podcasting, mixing music tracks other recording stuff that needs pure audio.
The USB Plus is easy to set up, has minimal hiss and zero latency and produces clear crisp precise tones with minimal background noise. It is worth its price.
Read the full review HERE
It is a given norm that almost or at least most of the music lovers use the USB microphone for all their recording purposes in their home studios, for pod casting, on YouTube and for every other recording purpose. There are several USB microphones in the market but the best microphone for vocals is one which is reasonably priced and performs seamlessly.
The Sennheiser e945 made with German technology is probably the best microphone for vocals in list above. It being a dynamic mike you needn’t worry about having a phantom power source for it. In addition to that the proximity effect is also negligible making it very easy to use especially for a beginner.
If you are looking for the best microphone for vocals then ensure that you don’t get confused by the technical jargon about the mike. Check the price range and buy one that suits your budget and has features that are suited for your need- stage singing, recording studio, and broadcaster, whatever is the case.
With experience and more knowledge you can invest in a higher end microphone with better features.
- 1 The key factors to look for when purchasing the best microphones for vocals are:
- 2 Blue Yeti USB Microphone – Blackout Edition
- 3 Heil PR-40 Dynamic Studio Recording Microphone
- 4 Sennheiser e945 Supercardioid Dynamic Handheld Mic
- 5 Shure SM7B Vocal Dynamic Microphone, Cardioid
- 6 Audio-Technica AT2020USB PLUS Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone
- 7 Conclusion